It is a traditional sweet of Sri Lanka & South India prepared during Sinhala New Year & Diwali
සිංහල අලුත් අවුරුදු කෑම මේසය හැඩ කරන තවත් රසවත් කැවිලි වර්ගයකි අතිරස. ඔබට කැමති ආකාරයේ හැඩයකින් මෙම අතිරස සාදා ගත හැකිය.
It is a traditional sweet of Sri Lanka & South India prepared during Sinhala New Year & Diwali.
Athirasa, a deliciously finger licking recipe to treat your family and friends. The Athirasa can be prepared within half an hour. The time taken for cooking Athirasa is 30 minutes. With such flavoursome ingredients, the dish tastes superb! This recipe is appropriate to serve 10 people. The recipe details out how to make Athirasa step by step. The detailed explanation makes Athirasa so simple and easy that even beginners can try it out. The recipe for Athirasa can be tweaked in a lot of ways to make it more interesting. So, the next time you have a party at home do not forget to check out the recipe of Athirasa
Ingredients to make Athirasa
- Raw red rice- 2 cups
- Grated jaggery- 1 ½ cup
- Poppy seeds- 2 tsp
- Cooking oil- 3 tsp
- Oil for frying
How to make Athirasa
- Wash the rice 4-5 times until the colour of washed water changes from red to colourless.
- Soak the rice overnight. Drain the water and shade dry for 45 minutes and take care that little water content remains in the rice.
- Powder the rice into fine flour in the mixer and sieve the flour and repeat this step until all the rice is done into fine flour.
- Take grated jaggery into thick kadai, pour in little water, and prepare syrup of single thread consistency. Remove from flame, add the poppy seeds and now pour in the powdered rice flour into the syrup with continuous stirring.
- Add the cooking oil. The rice flour begins to absorb the syrup. Keep the mixture aside and leave it to cool down (mixture thickens).
- After cooling grease the palm with oil and make small roundels with the flour mixture.
- Deep fry in oil on medium flame. Allow the athirasa to cool as they are a soft when hot and becomes crispy later.
My Tip:Red raw rice is best for athirasa. Single thread consistency sugar syrup is the key.